Tuesday, May 27, 2008

REFERRAL--THE CALL

Today at 2:59pm.
I'm standing in line waiting for a perscription at Sam's club. I have a cart with just my purse in the front. I'm going to walk around and get the samples after I get to the counter and tell them what I need. My phone rings, it's my social worker. Gosh, she probably found out that I told Alexa a few weeks ago that I wanted to be on the list for a referral during the summer. Alexa pretty much laughed at me. I'm #45 on the list and I shouldn't be expecting a call anytime soon. Judy was going to tell me to relax this summer, leave the agency alone, and to not even think about a referral until Thanksgiving. When I know who's calling I often answer the phone with a question instead of the boring, "hello".
Me: "Hey Judy, you got my baby girl for me yet?"
Judy, "Yes, Anna I do."
Me, "WHAT?"
Judy, "Yes Anna, I have your baby girl for you."
Me, "Oh my God, No, Oh my God, Oh my God, No, No, Oh my God, oh my God!!!
At this point, I'm shaking, sobbing uncontrollably, I have my face in my hands, snot starts running down my face, I'm bent over my cart. People are looking, and starting to gather around. As the sobbing continues, I take a breath.........
Judy, "She was born on May28,2007"
Me, "Oh no, oh no, Oh My God, I need to write this down!"
I start rummaging through my suitcase of a purse which always has a dozen pens, one notebook and countless scraps of paper. I can't find any of it!!
Still sobbing and wiping snot across my face, "Judy I can't find paper!"
Judy, "Anna, why don't you go out to your car and call me back. I will wait." Judy is the perfect woman for this kid of job. She is the woman you want at every accident. Believe it or not that person is usually me.
Sobbing, "Okay" I hang up the call.
I start sobbing harder, snot running down my face, I'm bent over my cart, uncontrollable........then I realize................. I'm in a store. I look up.........People are looking at me. OMG People are staring at me!!!!!!! "Are you okay?" "Do you need someone??" "Do you need a ride?" OMG "I Got a baby girl!!!!"
I grab my purse, and go running out of the store in heels, I mean running!!! I don't remember the people, I don't remember the sliding doors. As I'm running I'm calling my mom. She doesn't answer. I leave her a message.
"MOMIGOTTHECALLIHAVEABABYGIRLTODAY!!!"click
I call my great friend Christy, Mother of two Ethiopian children. Her husband answers in his usual calm voice, "hello"
"ISCHRISTYTHEREINEEDCHRISTY, HURRY"
Christy sounding troubled, "Hello??"
"CHRISTYIGOTTHECALLIGOTTHECALLCHRISTYIT'SAGIRLSHEISONEYEAROLDTOMORROW"
"Anna??"
"Yes, I got a baby girl, I'm at my car, I'll call you back"
I had to call Judy back and get all of her info. Needless to say...... I was in total shock!!!!!! We went from #60 to #45 in a week. We were at #43 yesterday. I was waiting until June 1st to give an update. And then wait the long summer.
God is Good, God is faithful, God's timing is perfect!!
Just when you think you have it all figured out, He puts a twist in just to keep you on your toes!!
Details:
The private details are private.
Her name is Selamnesh, "you are peaceful" her mother named her that because her labor was not difficult.
Her mother is 25. Brought her to the care center herself. She said that she wanted a better life for her daughter. She has no other siblings.
She was born May, 28th 2007 tomorrow is her 1st birthday and it pains me to not have her here with us. Birthdays are such a big deal in our family!!!
She is about 12# tiny but healthy. She is sitting in a crib in her picture. I can't post a picture of her until she is officially ours. But she is wearing a cute little dress, sitting in her crib. She has big doe eyes with the longest lashes. (She has my eyelashes) She has a cute nose and the most beautiful lips with that little pouty indent below her nose they look like angel wings. Her ears are cute and little, and flat to her head. She has no hair, (just like the rest of my kids) Sitting in her crib she looks like a doll. And she is!!!!!!
Please pray for her birth mother
Jesus, Father in heaven, wrap your loving arms around this wonderful, caring woman. Only you can give her comfort in this time of loss for her daughter. Give her comfort in the fact that her daughter will not ever have to feel the pains of hunger. She will have a great education and make a difference in the world of her own some day. I will never understand her feeling of loss and Love she has for her daughter. May you give her comfort, take her onto your lap, and wrap your arms around her and ease her pain. Knowing that she Loved her daughter SOOO much that she was willing to make a plan for her future. amen

5 comments:

Stacy said...

congratulations, congratulations!!! She sound's just beautiful and perfect. I love your referral story and I hope she finds great joy in your snot one day!
Stacy (single momma to Lucy)

Christy O said...

Oh, Anna, you are so funny! I cannot imagine the emotions you went through when you finally got the call, months early!!!! How wonderful! God knows what is best for everyone and has it all in his hands. Cannot wait to meet her in person! All my kids are so excited, and Zeri and Solomon are entranced! I love going through this with you! We are all so excited!
Christy

Tarah said...

Anna,
I saw your info on the forum because I am watching with two friends (carrieout west) for their referral.
Congrats on your amazing referral. what a blessing. May her birth mother feel peace as she knows your arms are tight enough to rock your new baby each night. :)

Cathy said...

CONGRATS! I just love your story. I wish you all the best and hope you get a quick court date and an even quicker travel date. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Conratulations Anna!! Your story is too funny;) I'll be watching for travel details and travel stories. Ingrid and Jeff