Thursday, September 10, 2009

Working or Vacation in Marquette, MI




Last year I took the kids with me to Marquette, MI while I worked. I love Marquette so much!!! It is such a beautiful town!!! So we went there for a working vacation, I can work while the kids sleep in, go swimming, or entertain themselves, then when I'm done working for the day.....WE PLAY!!!! Lauren drove most of the way...it's so nice to have a 16 year old!!!!

Selamnesh loves the water!!! She would jump off the side of the pool, be dunked by us, or just want to swim or float!!! Of course Lauren was her main playmate!! Tristan was diving, swimming, floating or just plain having fun!!!






What do you do with a 2 year old for 2 and a half hours while everyone is painting pottery??? Let her color on what ever she wants.......... We went to Hot Plate. It is the coolest paint pottery/make glass jewlery place I know of!!! Lauren made two glass fused necklaces. She layered pieces of glass on each other, they will fire the glass in the kiln and it will melt all together. Lauren is so detailed!!! Tristan made a beer mug....hummm..... But it was the coolest beer mug I have ever seen!!! He is just so creative!!! He even made it look like it had foam around the top rim of the glass. It was so cool!!! While visiting Bizunesh in Ethiopia, I asked her what she would like me to get Selamnesh as a gift from Bizunesh, her answer... warm pajamas and a bowl of her own. I made Selamnesh a princess plate from Bizunesh. We had a great time!!! I think it took longer that we expected it too, but it was fun!!!







We hiked up Sugarloaf Mountain!!! Lauren did not want to go!!! She isn't the most outdoorsy kina girl....she is more of a Princess than she lets on!! Tristan was all Gun-hoe!!! She volunteered to take Selamnesh and show her how it was to be done. After Lauren got going she desided that maybe this wasn't so bad and took a few paths of her own......








Once we got to the top... everyone was happy!!! I carried Selamnesh the way down, which was more difficult than you would think......but imagine carring a 25 pound bag of potatoes on your front while you were trying to make a correct step.....so that you both don't FALL down the mountain.........







After the hike, we were driving back into town when Tristan exclaimed, "Look!! Waterfalls!!!" I slammed on the brakes, and turned sharply into a small driveway/parking lot. The water was ice cold!!! The water flowed strangely in odd directions. The rocks that it ran over were black, flat and dull looking. It was breath takingly beautiful!!! No photos could take the full scope of the magesty of it!!!







I introduced the kids to Little Ceasar's $5.99 pizza!!! What a huge hit!!! Lauren couldn't believe that a whole pepperoni pizza was only $5.99!!! What a hoot!!! Selamnesh LOVES pizza!!! Tristan and I would have prefered sausage pizza to pepperoni but... oh well... So we sat at the beach eating a whole pizza and Crazy bread, another HUGE hit!!! Also.. Lauren taught Selamnesh to say, "Bus driver, bus driver, open the door!!" While she is pushing her cheeks together!!! They have such a great time!!!







Lake Superior is Cold!!! But Tristan was determined that he was going to go swimming!!! And of course... Selamnesh had to follow him in!!! She wanted to bring home every rock, stick, and piece of garbage she found.....after coming home... I realized that Tristan brought back a bunch of stuff from the lake.....

We had a wonderful time......oh, how I love vacationing with my children more than anyone else in the world!!! They are my world..........


No comments: