Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Meeting Selamnesh's Birth Mother

Today we left at 6am. It was a 3 1/2 hours drive to Hossanna. This country is called the green famine. The hills and mountains are green and beautiful. We saw a few waterfalls, but most creek beds were dry. It was a long drive. We went to the drop off site and waited for the private meetings. I of course was the second to last meeting. Her birth mother and I came into the room at the same time. I had seen a DVD of her yesterday, and I recognized her right away. We hugged about 20 times and each shed a lot of tears. I told her about me, my faith, my life, and how much I love her. I told her about our faith and she shared that she knows Jesus. What a comfort to know that she will be in heaven with us. She told me about her life and how she came to this decision. She wants Selamnesh to have an education and a better life than she could give her. She knows that there is a huge difference between our lives. It was so sad, and she humbled me so much!!! She asked if I would let Selamnesh come to visit when she is grown. I reassured her that we would be back. I knew most of her history ahead of time, so it wasn't a surprise. A few things shocked me. She is a beautiful woman of 25. She has a nose like my mom. Her ears and eyes are just like Selamnesh's. Tristan took some video and we got pictures of us as a family and a few with just her and I. I will frame them and put them in her bedroom. They lit candles and gave them to us, to symbolize giving us the trust of the children. We both cried and cried. And hugged and hugged!!!!!!!!! The people generally kiss three times on the cheek. I think we did 50 times.

Today was so wonderful. I praise God for our meeting. Please pray for her mother's health and life.

3 comments:

Christy O said...

Oh, my goodness! I am just crying and crying!!! What an amazing time that must have been, I cannot wait to hear more! I cannot imagine how you are impacted by all of this! Our children change us in the most amazing ways. Have to tell you though, we are counting the moments until your plane lands here!!!! Love to all of you, hug and kiss the little one for us.

Unknown said...

HI again, I am so excited for you. What a great experience. You all will never forget this as long as you live. You have this blog to show her too some day. How wonderful. I am so proud of you. God has called you to do this and you are so wonderful and brave! Way to go! May God keep you all healthy and safe for your trip home.

Janine said...

Wow, what an emotional day! After reading your post I thought, can you imagine doing what Selamnesh's mother is doing without being a Christian? As Christians we have faith that God knows our future and knows what we need to make through the future circumstances. She is literally standing in God's light, giving her child to you, knowing that you will give her what she needs for the future. Wow, that is faith isn't it?